Civic Learning Award: Golden Valley High School
Golden Valley High School
William S. Hart Union High School District
County of: Bakersfield
Civic Learning Award of: Distinction
Civic Learning DescriptionThe We the People program at Golden Valley High School is a part of the American Government curriculum with the purpose to promote student mastery of state standards for government/civics in an inquiry based model. The program has engaged students into developing civic skills of knowledge and disposition with the hope that they become lifelong practitioners of good citizenship. Project Citizen is part of Golden Valley High’s US History course and strives to engage students in the process of identifying local areas of need, researching solutions for these local issues, and exploring public policy solutions that could be implemented. By going through this program, students learn how they can make their voices heard in their community in a meaningful way. Golden Valley High also continues to sponsor an Interact club, Rotary International’s service club for young people ages 12-18.
Research-Based Civic Education Practices
This school demonstrates the following research-based best practices in civic education. For more information on research-based best practices, visit the Campaign for the Civic Mission of Schools website.
- Provide instruction in government, history, law and democracy, and avoid teaching only rote facts about dry procedures.
- Discuss current local, national and international issues and events in the classroom, particularly those that young people view as important to their lives.
- Conduct community service that is linked to the formal curriculum and classroom (Service-learning)
- Offer extracurricular activities that provide opportunities for young people to get involved in their schools or communities.
- Encourage student participation in school governance.
- Encourage students’ participation in simulations of democratic process and procedures such as voting, trials, legislative deliberation, and diplomacy.
801 Hosking Avenue
Bakersfield, CA 93307