The third week in March is traditionally recognized as Mediation Week. During this week, many California courts, local governments, community dispute resolution programs, and private mediation organizations hold events to inform the public about the availability and benefits of mediation programs and to acknowledge the mediators and others who make those programs successful.
Judicial Council Recognition of Mediation Week
The Judicial Council adopted a standing resolution recognizing the third week of March as "Mediation Week." The resolution signed by the Chief Justice and Administrative Director of the Courts recognizes the benefits and success of court mediation programs, commends the efforts of the individuals and organizations that make mediation and mediation programs available to the citizens of California, and encourages the courts to recognize those individuals and publicize their mediation programs during Mediation Week.
State Bar of California Recognition of Mediation Week
The Board of Governors of the State Bar of California also adopted a standing resolution recognizing the third week of March as Mediation Week.
Videos help litigants participate in ADR
The judicial branch has developed a number of videos that provide information about and encourage the use of mediation and other ADR processes:
- ADR Demonstrations. These short video clips provide an overview of the benefits of ADR, tips on preparing for ADR, and demonstrations of the four common court ADR processes for civil cases.
- Resolving Small Claims Cases. This video provides an overview of the small claims process and explains why mediation can be a good way of resolving small claims disputes.
- Resolving Unlawful Detainer (Eviction) Cases. This video provides an overview of the eviction process and explains why mediation can be a good way of resolving eviction cases.
- Resolving Your Civil Harassment Case in the California Courts This video provides an overview of the court process for seeking an order to restrain civil harassment and explains why mediation can be a good way of resolving civil harassment disputes.
- Resolving Your Debt Collection Case in the California Courts provides information about the options for resolving many types of debts, before or after a court action is filed.
- Juvenile Dependency Mediation This video highlights the multiple benefits of juvenile dependency mediation through interviews with both California and nationwide judges, attorneys, mediators and other professionals, and it provides the viewer with snapshots of the mediation process.