Change a Child's Name

Choose the option that best fits your situation:

Both parents agree to file together
Only one parent is filing for a name change 
You are the child's guardian
Currently involved in a family law case
If you are involved in a family law case like parentage, child support, adoption or child custody, etc, and there has not been a final judgment yet, you can ask that the name be changed as part of the judgment on Form FL-250
Correct a typographical error on the child's birth certificate
If you are not trying to change your child's name but you just need to correct a typographical error on your child's birth certificate, click here to learn how to amend the birth certificate.

© 2018 Judicial Council of California