Plaintiff’s Post-Trial Checklist

  1. Read What to Do After the Court Decides Your Small Claims Case (Form SC-200-INFO).
  2. If you won the case and the other person (the defendant) owes you money, try to get him or her to pay you. Once the defendant has paid, file a form called Acknowledgment of Satisfaction of Judgment (Form SC-290 or Form EJ-100). Read Collect Your Judgment for more information about what you can do to collect your judgment.
  3. If you lost and owe money pay the court or the other person directly. After you pay, make sure the defendant files a form called Acknowledgment of Satisfaction of Judgment (Form SC-290 or Form EJ-100). If the person you owe money to does not file this form, you can ask the court clerk to enter a "satisfaction of judgment" if you can prove you paid the full amount of the judgment with the interest and costs.

    • After you request in writing that the defendant file the Acknowledgment of Satisfaction of Judgment (Form SC-290 or Form EJ-100), the defendant has 14 days to comply. If the defendant fails or refuses to, you can sue him or her for $50 plus any actual damages you incurred. To read the law, see Code of Civil Procedure section 116.850.
    • If you do not pay, you must mail a Judgment Debtor's Statement of Assets (Form SC-133) to the person you owe money to within 30 days of the court's judgment in your case.
    • Read Pay the Judgment and Payments in Small Claims Cases (Form SC-220-INFO) for more information.
  4. As the plaintiff, you CANNOT appeal the judge's decision on your claim. Only the person or business you sued can appeal the decision.
  5. You CAN appeal if the other person or business sued you back (by filing a Defendant's Claim) and you lost. Learn how to appeal your small claims case.
  6. Read the Department of Consumer Affairs' website for more information.

© 2018 Judicial Council of California