This unit is designed to address the following California State Board of Education's content standards for History-Social Science. See below for specific standards addressed. For more information on the standards, or to see the complete list, please visit: www.cde.ca.gov/be/st/ss/
E Pluribus Unum: out of many, one
Through actions come change, and change in the political process involves participation
Essential Questions or Issues:
1. How does the use of symbols help convey a message?
2. What does it take to work in a successful group?
3. Why is being united essential?
4. How can a strong individual still be part of a group?
5. Does the strength of the individual make the whole stronger?
Lesson One—The Importance of Symbols
Lesson Two—George Washington—Man or Man?
Lesson Three—The Rule Paradox