How to Change Your Gender

How-to Guide to Changing Your Gender ONLY

Important! You do not need a court ordered gender change to change your California driver's license, social security card, or U.S. passport. You also no longer need a court order to have a new birth certificate issued reflecting a change of gender (for California birth records). You may want to get a court ordered gender change to amend your birth certificate if you were born outside of California. Find out more at ID Please - A guide to Changing California and Federal Identity Documents to Match Your Gender Identity or get help from the resources listed under "Related Information" on the Gender Change home page.

Generally, to get a court order changing your gender ONLY (without a name change), follow these steps:

  1. Fill out your court forms
    • Petition for Change of Gender and Issuance of New Birth Certificate (Form NC-300),
    • Setting of Hearing on the Petition for Change of Gender and Issuance of New Birth Certificate (Form NC-320), and
    • Civil Case Cover Sheet (Form CM-010).

  2. Have your doctor fill out an affidavit telling the court that you have undergone clinically appropriate treatment for change of gender
    Your doctor can use the Declaration of Physician — Attachment to Petition (Form NC-310) or write out his or her own declaration. It is very important it be done by a licensed physician; it cannot be done by a nurse. If your doctor uses his or her own letter, make sure it contains all the required information.

  3. Have your forms reviewed
     If your court’s family law facilitator or self-help center helps people with gender change cases, ask them to review your paperwork. They can make sure you filled it out properly before you move ahead with your case.

  4. Make at least 1 copy of all your forms

  5. File your forms with the court clerk
    File all the forms and copies in any superior court.  The clerk will stamp your forms "Filed," keep the original, and return the copies to you.  The clerk will give you a date for your court hearing and will write it on the Setting of Hearing on the Petition for Change of Gender, along with information on the time and department number for your hearing.
    You will have to pay a filing fee. Find out how much the filing fee is for a first petition (sometimes called a “first appearance” or “first papers”). If you cannot afford the fee, you can ask for a fee waiver.

  6. Go to your court hearing
    Go to court on your court date. Take the Order for Change of Gender and Issuance of New Birth Certificate (Form NC-330) for the judge to sign.

  7. Get your Order for Change of Gender from the court
    If the judge approves your request for a change of gender, the judge will sign the Order for Change of Gender and Issuance of New Birth Certificate (Form NC-330). Once you get your signed order, get a certified copy from the court clerk. You will need this to change all your legal documents, including your birth certificate and other government-issued identification like your driver’s license. Click for information on changing your driver’s license.