Emergency Court Closures and COVID-19 (Coronavirus)

During this emergency, local courts can decide to close some services. This may mean that you are unable to file papers at a courthouse or go to your court date.

Check your court’s local website to see if the court has made special orders that apply to you, like giving you more time to file papers, cancel your court date, or extend a restraining order that you have.

If you have an emergency and need a restraining order, please call 911. A police officer can request an Emergency Protective Order (EPO) from the court to protect you when there is an emergency with domestic violence or someone is hurting you or threatening to hurt you.
If you need a restraining order while the court is closed you can call the police to ask for an Emergency Protective Order, or EPO.

Police can ask for an EPO to protect you if you or your child are in immediate danger of:

  • Domestic abuse
  • Stalking
  • Being kidnapped

This includes situations where you are afraid that someone will use a gun to hurt themselves or others. If you are age 60 or older and in immediate danger of abuse, you can also ask for an EPO. 

The National Domestic Violence Hotline is available 24/7 by phone and online chat in English and in Spanish. They can give you information about local resources, like shelters, and how to keep yourself safe. Visit www.thehotline.org or call 1-800-799-7233. For TTY, 1-800-787-3224. 

If your local court is closed and:

  • you have a restraining order that ends soon or
  • you have a court date (court hearing) coming up...

check your court’s website to see if your restraining order has been automatically extended (up to 30 days) or if your court date has been changed. If your restraining order was extended, you will want a copy of the new order, so ask your court if they will be sending it to you.