Emancipation FAQs

Emancipation — Frequently Asked Questions

Q: Is emancipation forever?

A: Usually, yes. But the court can cancel your emancipation if you lie to the court or if you cannot support yourself anymore.

Q: Is emancipation my only choice if I do not want to live with my parents any more?

A: No. If you do not want to live with your parents you can:

  • Get counseling or mediation with your parents;
  • Go to live with another adult (like an aunt, uncle, grandparent, or family friend);
  • Get help from public or private agencies; or
  • Make an agreement with your parents to live somewhere else.

Q: Where can I read more about emancipation?

A: Legal Services for Children’s Emancipation Manual has a lot of answers about emancipation for teenagers.

Also read the Emancipation Pamphlet (Form MC-301) for more information about the court process. This pamphlet is also available in Spanish, Chinese, Vietnamese, Korean.

Site Map | Careers | Contact Us | Accessibility | Public Access to Records | Terms of Use | Privacy | Newsroom