e-Submissions Instructions (Fifth Appellate District)
Documents must be
- A single PDF file.
- Unlocked (i.e., no passwords or saving as a PDF/A)
- No more than 25 MB in size
- An exact duplicate of the paper copy.
Working with PDFs
Documents Accepted for E-Submission
|The term "brief" includes:
||The term "Writ or Opposition" includes:|
- Appellant's Opening Brief
- Respondent's Brief
- Appellant's Reply Brief
- Amicus Curiae Brief
- Petition for Rehearing
- Answer to Petition for Rehearing
- Answer to Amicus Curiae Brief
- Letter Brief
- Service Copy of Petition for Review
- Petition for Writ of Mandate, Prohibition or Certiorari
- Petition for Writ of Habeas Corpus
- Petition for Writ of Supersedeas
- Petition for Writ of Review (WCAB, PUC, ALRB, PERB)
- Petition for Extraordinary Writ
- Supporting documents
- Opposition, Reply, Answer, Return or Traverse
In lieu of original and four paper copies, a party submitting an electronic copy of a "brief" is required to file an original and three paper copies.
For Civil cases, submitting an electronic copy of the brief will satisfy the requirements for service on the Supreme Court under rule 8.212(c)(2). Please see http://courts.ca.gov/7423.htm.
A party who files a petition, answer, opposition, reply, or other response to a petition, including any supporting documents, must file an original and:
- one paper copy that is unbound, printed on white paper and does not contain tabs or a red cover; or
- an electronic copy in pdf. format, submitted through this page.
This is in lieu of the requirements contained in California Rules of Court, rule 8.44(b)(3) and (5). (Cal. Rules of Court, Local Rule 3)