Gender Change

This section shows you how to ask for a court order changing your gender, both in cases where you also want to change your name or when you only want to change your gender.

Click on the relevant button below to learn the steps you must follow:

Gender Change Only ButtonGender & Name Change Button

Important! As of July 1, 2014, you do not need a court order to have a new birth certificate issued reflecting a change of gender (for California birth records). Find out more at ID Please - A guide to Changing California and Federal Identity Documents to Match Your Gender Identity.  You DO need a court order for a change of name. If you prefer, you can get a court order changing your gender (and if so, click on the topic above for instructions). If only want a court order for a name change, go to our name change section

Related information:
Centro de ayuda

 Survey Button
Ask a Law Librarian Ask a Law Librarian


Map of SHC and FLF Locations Self-Help Centers
Click for an interactive Google map listing of Self Help Centers and Family Law Facilitator locations, or click for a printer-friendly directory.
Site Map | Careers | Contact Us | Accessibility | Public Access to Records | Terms of Use | Privacy