Revenue and Collections Banner

Revenue and Collections

Public Amnesty FAQs

What is the "Amnesty Program?"
The California Legislature has mandated (AB 1358) that every county implement a one-time amnesty period that allows a defendant to make a lump sum payment of 50% of the outstanding balance on certain violations to fully satisfy that court ordered obligation.

When does the program begin and end?
January 1, 2012, to June 30, 2012.

What violations are eligible?
All adult and juvenile Vehicle Code and non-Vehicle Code infraction violations.

Note: some counties may include certain adult Vehicle Code misdemeanor violations. Check with your local Superior Court after January 1, 2012 for specific eligibility in your county.

What's the fine print?
ALL of the following conditions must be met to be eligible:

  • You have an outstanding traffic case that was due to be paid in full before January 1, 2009.
  • You either failed to appear in court or failed to pay in full.
  • The last date you made a payment was on or before January 1, 2009.
  • You don't owe restitution to a victim on any case within the county where the violation was filed.
  • You have no outstanding misdemeanor or felony warrants within the county where the violation was filed.

What is NOT eligible?
Parking tickets, driving under the influence (DUI), and reckless driving cases are NOT eligible.

What about assessments and other fees that have been tacked on?
The total amount due is eligible to be reduced by 50%. That includes the base fine and any assessments, late charges, and other fees.

Will I be able to renew my driver's license after I satisfy the amnesty process?
Individuals who are unable to renew their driver's license due to unpaid tickets may have their driver's license hold or suspension released.

What about "points" that the DMV adds to driving records?
The amnesty program does NOT eliminate points.

Can I pay with plastic?
You can pay in whatever form is customary in your county, which may include credit card, cash, cashier's checks, money orders, and personal checks.

Can I set up a payment plan?
No. You must pay the full 50% of amounts due in one lump payment.

Who gets the money collected?
The city, the county, the court, and the state.

Who do I contact to see if my violation is eligible for the discount?
After January 1, 2012, contact the Superior Court in the county where the violation occurred. Find your court here: