Name Change


The California Courts Self-Help Center is now offering live chat assistance for Name Change at the following times:

        Monday, Wednesday and Thursday
        9:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m. Pacific Standard Time

Look for a green tab in the right bottom corner of your screen on name change pages. If you don’t see it, we’re offline. Please come back during the hours listed above.

Live chat assistance is provided by a pilot program and will be available until November 15, 2018.

This section gives you information on legally changing your name or a minor's name by getting a court order. With a court order you can change your legal name on government-issued identification documents such as your driver's license, passport, and social security card. You will generally need a certified copy of the decree changing your name.

If you want to change your name or that of a minor, click on the relevant section below to get the steps you must follow.

Adult Name Change Name Change for a minor

Related information:

Centro de ayuda
Ask a Law Librarian. Live Online ReferenceAsk a Law Librarian


Interactive Google map listing of Self Help Centers and Family Law FacilitatorsSelf-Help Centers
Click for an interactive Google map listing of Self Help Centers and Family Law Facilitator locations, or click for a printer-friendly directory.