Legal Steps for a Divorce or Legal Separation

STEP 1. File Forms

STEP 2. Serve the Forms

  • Someone 18 or older – not the petitioner – serves the other spouse (called the respondent), with all the forms from Step 1 plus a blank Response – Marriage (Form FL-120) and files with the court a proof of service form, such as Proof of Service of Summons (Form FL-115), telling when and how the respondent was served. (To serve means “to give in the proper legal way.”) For more information, see “Serve Your First Set of Court Forms.”

  • The respondent has 30 days to file and serve a Response. Therefore, petitioner must wait 30 days before starting Step 4.

STEP 3. Disclose Financial Information

  • At the same time as Step 1 or within 60 days of filing the Petition, petitioner must fill out and have these documents served on the respondent: Declaration of Disclosure (Form FL-140), Income and Expense Declaration (Form FL-150), Schedule of Assets and Debts (Form FL-142), or Property Declaration (Form FL-160), and all tax returns filed by the party in the 2 years before serving the disclosure documents. These disclosure documents must not be filed with the court.
  • If the respondent files a Response, he or she must also complete and serve the same disclosure documents on the petitioner within 60 days of filing the Response.

  • The 60-day time frame for serving the disclosures may be changed by written agreement between the parties or by court order.

  • The petitioner and the respondent each file a Declaration Regarding Service (Form FL-141) with the court saying disclosures were served. If respondent does not serve disclosures, petitioner can still finish the case without them. For more information, see “Fill Out Your Financial Declaration of Disclosure Forms.”

Step 4. Finish the Divorce or Legal Separation Case in One of Four Ways

Respondent does not file a Response (called "default")

Respondent files a Response

No Response and NO written agreement:

Petitioner waits 30 days after step 2 is complete and prepares a proposed Judgment (Form FL-180), together with all other needed forms. See "True Default Case" for more information.
No Response BUT written agreement:

Petitioner attaches the signed and notarized agreement to the proposed Judgment (Form FL-180) together with all other needed forms. See "Default Case with Written Agreement" for more information.
Response AND written agreement:

Either party files Appearance, Stipulations, and Waivers (Form FL-130) and the proposed Judgment with written agreement attached and other needed forms. See "Uncontested Case" for more information.
Response and NO agreement:

For divorces, parties must go to trial to have a judge resolve the issues. See "Contested Case" for more information. Click for legal separations.


  • The earliest you can be divorced is six months and one day from the date the respondent (1) was served with the summons and petition, (2) filed a Response, or (3) filed an Appearance, Stipulations, and Waivers (Form FL-130). Legal separation has no waiting period. You MUST complete Step 4 for both types of cases. You are NOT divorced or legally separated until the court enters a Judgment in your case.

  • If you need court orders for child support, custody, parenting time (visitation), spousal or partner support, restraining orders, or other issues before the case is final, you can file a Request for Order (Form FL-300) asking for temporary orders. See “Request for Order Information” for more information.

  • After you file your first paper with the court, you must keep the court and the other party informed of any change in your mailing address or other contact information.  To comply, you may file and have a Notice of Change of Address or Other Contact information (Form MC-040) served on the other party or his or her attorney.

Additional Information

Do you have a same-sex marriage or a registered domestic partnership?

The process for a divorce or legal separation of a same-sex marriage, domestic partnership, or both is the same as the Steps 1 through 4 above, except that the petitioner files Form FL-103 to start the case, instead of FL-100. The petitioner must also serve the responent with a blank Form FL-123, instead of a blank FL-120. (Note: a petitioner seeking a divorce or legal separation of only a same-sex marriage may file Form FL-100 to start the case, if he or she meets the residency requirements listed on that form). There may also be differences in taxes and other issues for same-sex marriages or domestic partnerships. For more information, see "Filing Your Case" and click on the topic that describes your situation.

What if you want a legal separation?

The process in Steps 1 through 4 above is the same, except you will NOT get a Judgment for legal separation unless both parties agree to a legal separation OR if the respondent has not filed a Response. If both parties agree to be legally separated but do not agree on other issues, the parties must go to trial to have a judge resolve those issues. You are NOT legally separated until you receive a Judgment signed by the court. For more information, see "Legal Separation."  AFTER the court enters a judgment for legal separation, if you decide you want a divorce, you must start a new case to request a divorce and pay another filing fee.

Site Map | Careers | Contact Us | Accessibility | Public Access to Records | Terms of Use | Privacy