Responding to Divorce or Separation

Try our new step-by-step format!

We're improving online instructions for divorce!

Give it a try!

Either spouse in a marriage or partner in a registered domestic partnership can ask the court to end their legal relationship.

If you have been served with a petition and summons for dissolution (divorce) or legal separation, your spouse or domestic partner is asking the court to end your relationship.  In California, as long as 1 person wants to end the marriage or domestic partnership, the court can end it, even if the other spouse or domestic partner does not agree or want to get divorced or legally separated.

A married couple or registered domestic partners can end their marital status in California 6 months after the first papers are filed at the courthouse and copies of these papers are served on you, the respondent.


Centro de ayuda
Ask a Law Librarian. Live Online ReferenceAsk a Law Librarian

California Self-Help and Family Law Facilitator Locations

Interactive Google map listing of Self Help Centers and Family Law Facilitators
Click for interactive Google map listing of Self Help Centers and Family Law Facilitator locations, or click for a printer-friendly directory.