Emancipation FAQs

A: Usually, yes. But the court can cancel your emancipation if you lie to the court or if you cannot support yourself anymore.

A: No. If you do not want to live with your parents you can:

  • Get counseling or mediation with your parents;
  • Go to live with another adult (like an aunt, uncle, grandparent, or family friend);
  • Get help from public or private agencies; or
  • Make an agreement with your parents to live somewhere else.

A: Legal Services for Children’s Emancipation Manual has a lot of answers about emancipation for teenagers.

Also read the Emancipation Pamphlet (Form EM-100-INFO) for more information about the court process. This pamphlet is also available in Spanish, Chinese, Vietnamese, Korean.