Filing Your Case

Once you are ready to start your divorce or legal separation case for your marriage or domestic partnership, and know which county to file your case in, you are ready to start your court case. Click for a program that will help you make sure you are filing your case in the right county.

Keep in mind that there are many forms to fill out throughout the court process, and it can get very complicated, especially if you want to include support orders, child custody orders, and orders dividing your property. You may be able to get help with your case, or with portions of the case, from a lawyer or your court’s family law facilitator or self-help center. Click for help finding a lawyer.

  • Click to see information on Legal Steps for a Divorce or Legal Separation (FL-107-INFO).