Immigration Basic Information



California State Courts

California state courts do not decide if you can stay in the United States. But in a few instances, what happens in a California state court may affect your immigration status.

What happens in a California state court may help you if you are:

  • Under the age of 21 and have been separated from or hurt by a parent, or
  • The victim of a crime, domestic violence, sex trafficking, or labor trafficking.

To learn more, find free or low cost help from

What happens in a California state court may negatively affect your immigration status if you are:

  • Found to have committed certain crimes or violated a restraining order.

Caution: Ask your lawyer about how your court case might affect your immigration status.

State and Local Resources

Understanding Immigration
California Courts Online Self-Help Center
Resources for learning about immigration.

Special Immigrant Juvenile Status
California Courts Online Self-Help Center
Resources and information for immigrant children and youth who have been abused, neglected, or abandoned by a parent.

California Immigrant Guide
Office of the Governor

Immigration Services
California Department of Social Services

Office of Immigration Assistance
California Department of Justice

Mayor's Office of Immigrant Affairs
City of Los Angeles

Immigrant Affairs
Los Angeles County Department of Consumer and Business Affairs 

Office of Civic Engagement and Immigrant Affairs
City and County of San Francisco

New San Diegan Resource Center
City of San Diego

Office of Immigrant Affairs
City of San Jose 

Office of Immigrant Relations
Santa Clara County

Immigration Information
University of California


Only the U.S. federal government can decide immigration status. Here are some resources from the federal government to help you:

ICE Detention Reporting and Information Line
For information on immigration enforcement and detention, basic immigration case information, reporting abuse or assault in detention, and more. Read this flyer for more information or visit the website.
(888) 351-4024

If a Parent Is Separated from a Child

Office of Refugee Resettlement (ORR)
Parent Hotline to find a child in ORR care:
(800) 203-7001 or text NINOS to 66467
7 days/week, 24-hours/day

If Asking the U.S. Federal Government for Immigration Status

U.S. Citizenship & Immigration Services (USCIS)
My USCIS or find your USCIS office
Asylum Offices in California
Lawful Permanent Residence (a green card)
U.S. Citizenship

U.S. State Department

After Receiving a Notice to Appear from the U.S. Department of Homeland Security

Executive Office of Immigration Review, Department of Justice
Learn about Notices to Appear (NTA) in English and Spanish
Find immigration courts in California
Access self-help materials
The Los Angeles Immigration Court has a self-help center onsite

Immigration Case Status Hotline (for information about your immigration case)
(800) 898-7180

If Looking for a Family Member or Friend

U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE)
Find someone detained by ICE

Last Updated: August 31, 2019