Correctable Violations (“Fix-It” Tickets)

Correctable Violations (Fix-It Tickets) and Getting Proof of Correction

Your traffic ticket may be a “correctable violation” or a “fix-it” ticket. Your “Notice to Appear” should have the “yes” box checked below “Correctable Violation.” Also, the courtesy notice the court may send you will say whether you can pay for the violation or if you have to show proof of correction.

If you show proof of correction and pay a dismissal fee, the court will dismiss the relevant charge.

Some common tickets of this kind are:

  • Equipment violations—“fix-it” tickets (like a broken tail light);
  • Driver's license violations—you did not have your license with you when you got your ticket or it was expired;
  • Car registration violations—such as an expired registration or if you did not have it with you when the police asked you for it; and
  • Insurance violations—like failing to provide proof of insurance when you had insurance coverage at the time you were ticketed.

When you fix the problem, get an authorized person to sign the “Certificate of Correction” part of your ticket. Take the proof of correction to the court and pay the dismissal fee before the deadline. You can check your ticket or contact the court to see if the court accepts proof of correction by mail. The court will then dismiss your case and it will not go on your record. You must take or mail the signed ticket with proof of correction to the court along with your dismissal fee. Do this before the deadline on your ticket. The court will then dismiss your case.

Getting Your Proof/Certificate of Correction Signed

To get your ticket (citation) signed by an authorized person, ask:

  • A police officer—for “fix-it” tickets (but not for insurance correction);
  • The DMV—for driver’s license and car registration violations; or
  • A court clerk—for proof of car insurance at the time of citation and for driver's license and car registration violations. (Make sure you have the correct documentation.)