What Do Lawyers Do in Juvenile Dependency Court?

People involved in a case usually have a lawyer to speak for them in court. The people in a dependency case who might have a lawyer are the social worker, parents, children, and sometimes others. For more information on what attorneys do, click here.

What Does a CASA Do in Juvenile Dependency Court?

Sometimes the judge will assign a Court Appointed Special Advocate (CASA) to help with a dependency case. CASAs are volunteers who help by talking to people, especially children, and telling the judge what they learn. CASAs spend a lot of time with the children they’re assigned to. They listen to the children and tell their story to the court. The CASA also suggests to the court what can be done to make the child safe and healthy.

previous page
next page