Glenn County, Willows Courthouse Renovation/Expansion

Glenn County, Willows Courthouse Renovation/Expansion

The scope of this project is for the renovation and expansion of the existing Willows Branch Main Courthouse located in the City of Willows. This project will provide a modern, secure courthouse with three courtrooms for the residents of Glenn County improving the existing deficient court facility and consolidating the Willows and Orland court facilities in Willows to alleviate operational and services restrictions. This project is ranked in the Critical Need priority group in the Trial Court Five-Year Infrastructure Plan adopted by the Judicial Council of California in October 2008, and consequently is one of the highest priority trial court capital-outlay projects for the judicial branch.

Gross Square Footage: 41,867
Total Courtrooms: 3
Current Authorized Project Budget: $46,413,000
Architectural/Engineering Firm: Page & Turnbull
CMA: Vanir Construction Management, Inc.
Fund: Senate Bill 1407

The Superior Court of Glenn County operates from two facilities—the Orland Branch, and the main facility, the Historic Courthouse in downtown Willows. The historic courthouse, built in 1894, has two stories totaling 16,100 square feet. The building received additions in the 1940s—three single-story structures that sit behind the original courthouse. The proposed project will improve security and functionality and increase efficiency by consolidating the two facilities into one—a renovated and expanded historic courthouse in Willows. The proposed project is being planned consistent with the U.S. Secretary of the Interior's Standards for the Treatment of Historic Properties. The previous additions will be demolished, returning the historic building to its original form before an addition is built behind it.

The historic courthouse will undergo a seismic strengthening and improvements to its mechanical, electrical, and plumbing systems. The historic courthouse will house the main entrance and lobby, security screening, self-help center, mediation and settlement spaces, court administration, and one courtroom. A planned two-story, 26,900 square-foot addition will be located behind the historic courthouse, on state property and on a small parcel to be acquired from Glenn County. The addition will house clerk's offices and court operations, two courtrooms, the sheriff, and holding areas for in-custody defendants. The addition will be designed as compatible with, but differentiated from, the historic building.

During construction, the court will vacate the main courthouse, operating at the Orland Branch and at the Willows Memorial Hall, which houses the Board of Supervisors. Staff will relocate to leased swing space (and a modular building) in Willows until construction is complete.

California Environmental Quality Act (CEQA) Compliance

The Judicial Council complied with CEQA by filing a categorical exemption for this project on December 1, 2010.

This project has completed architectural design-working drawings. Construction is expected to begin June 2020 and is estimated to be complete June 2022.

Figure 1. Aerial View of Site

Figure 2. Architect’s Rendering

Contact Info

Judicial Council of California
Facilities Services

455 Golden Gate Avenue
8th Floor
San Francisco, California

For Courts to Report Facilities Issues
Customer Service Center:
888-225-3583 or