Request Forms

If you would like to request judicial administrative records maintained by the appellate courts or the Judicial Council of California (the Council) you may submit your request by completing a Request for Judicial Administrative Records and sending it to the Public Access to Records Project by e-mail, U.S. Mail, or fax.

Request for Judicial Administrative Records Form

The Council does not maintain criminal histories, records, or documents related to specific cases filed in the Superior Courts of California. Contact the Superior Court in which the record was originally filed to get this information. Also, request court-specific judicial administrative records directly from the courts.

For all requests for judicial administrative records:

  • Fillable Intake Form
    Note: any changes you make to this form will not be saved. Save the completed form to your computer for your records.

A: No. Only use this form to make requests for copies of judicial administrative records. If you are looking for a copy of a divorce decree, criminal record, complaint, judgment, traffic ticket, order, or information on a case, please contact the clerk of the court where the case was filed for the proper request form. To quickly access court websites, please click here.

Use this form to request copies of judicial administrative records maintained by the Judicial Council of California (the Council) or a Superior Court of California. The council or the court will then review your request and investigate whether and when the requested materials can be produced, or if the records are exempt from disclosure under California Rules of Court, rule 10.500.

A: "Judicial administrative record" means "any writing containing information relating to the conduct of the people's business." Examples of judicial administrative records include, but are not limited to, budget and expenditure records, contracts, and written policies and procedures. See subdivisions (c)(2) and (e)(2) of rule 10.500.

A: Read the request form instructions and guidance information. Complete the request form and submit it to PAJAR. Email is preferable for faster responses, but is not required. The information you provide will facilitate the processing of your request. Be as detailed as possible and ensure your contact information is correct. If you are not specific, the Council may have difficulty responding to your request and a response may be delayed. If you fail to provide reliable contact information, a response to your request may be delayed and we may be unable to fulfill your request at all.

A: The Council or the court will notify you of its determination within 10 calendar days of receipt of your request. In certain circumstances, the 10 day period may be extended by an additional 14 calendar days. Once the Council or a court makes a determination, any responsive, disclosable records will be made available promptly. (See rule 10.500(e)(6)-(8).)

A: You may be charged fees that reflect the direct costs of duplication or production. In addition, you may be charged fees that reflect actual costs of staff search and review time expended on a commercial use request. Payment may be required before records are duplicated or produced. See rule 10.500(e)(4) and the Public Access to Judicial Administrative Records Fee Guidelines.