Gerald Jorgensen Lewis was born in Perth Amboy, New Jersey, on September 9, 1933. He graduated from Plainfield High School in Plainfield, New Jersey, in 1950. He attended Tufts University in Medford, Massachusetts, graduating in 1954 magna cum laude with a bachelor of arts degree. Three years later, he obtained his law degree from Harvard University Law School. He practiced law briefly with his uncle in New Jersey in 1961, before moving to San Diego to serve as house counsel for General Atomic that same year. He was admitted to the California Bar on June 7, 1962. From 1963 to 1977, he was in private practice concentrating on municipal and corporate work and business litigation. He served as attorney for the California Society of Anesthesiologists and the San Diego County Medical Association, special counsel to the Comprehensive Planning Organization of San Diego in 1972, City Attorney for Del Mar from 1963 to 1974 and City Attorney for Coronado from 1971 to 1977. In addition, he sat on the Air Pollution Control District Hearing Board for San Diego County from 1974 to 1976. He served on the Justice Court, Ramona Judicial District, in San Diego County, from December 14, 1975 to January 29, 1976. Following the consolidation of that court with the El Cajon and North County Municipal Court Districts, he served on the Municipal Court, El Cajon Judicial District, until he succeeded Superior Court Judge Eli H. Levenson on January 8, 1979, to the San Diego County Superior Court. He remained on the Superior Court until the Governor George Deukmejian elevated him on October 25, 1984, to succeed Associate Justice Gordon Cologne on Division One of the Court of Appeal, Fourth Appellate District. The oath of office was administered on November 30, 1984. Justice Lewis retired from the Court on May 1, 1987, and is engaged in private dispute resolution.