Getting Help

Most cities or counties have restraining order self-help clinics, shelters, or legal aid agencies that help people ask for a restraining order. These clinics or agencies can usually help with domestic violence restraining orders (including restraining orders to protect a child from child abuse) and elder or dependent adult abuse restraining orders. In some cases like sexual assault, stalking, and other situations, they can also help with civil harassment cases.

These services are usually free or very low cost. Look for help in your area before you try to do it on your own.

Your court’s family law facilitator may also be able to help you with a domestic violence restraining order, or at least with any child support or spousal/partner support issues you may have. The facilitator, depending on your court, may also be able to help you with elder or dependent adult abuse orders.

Your court’s self-help center may be able to help you with other types of restraining orders, like civil harassment or workplace violence restraining orders (as long as you don not have a lawyer representing you). And they may be able to help you get an elder or dependent adult abuse order if your court’s family law facilitator cannot.

Other Resources

For victims of domestic violence:

Call 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. They can help you in more than 100 languages. It is free and private.
The National Domestic Violence Hotline links you to the following resources in your community:
  • Domestic violence shelters
  • Emergency shelters
  • Legal help
  • Social service programs

Their website also provides a lot of information to help you and your children stay safe and get protection.

For child abuse:

For elders or dependent adults:

For perpetrators of domestic violence, elder or dependent adult abuse, or other abuse: